Thursday, August 12, 2010

Skool Sux

So after being out of the education game for a few years, I'm getting back on that horse and trying to finish my damn B.S. in Marine Biology! Trouble is, I have a shitty GPA at UNC-Wilmington and can't get back in till next summer... So I'm taking classes at Cape Fear Community College just to kill time, and maybe get some courses transferred over (and possibly an A.S. in General Science.) After registering for 4 pretty easy classes (Western Civ, Intro to Computers, Intro to English Lit, and Pre-Calculus) I discovered that just because the classes are easy and taught at a community college, the price of books doesn't drop! 4 classes=OVER $600 in books! (if I ordered them from the school bookstore...) I was able to rent 3 books, but the rest weren't available ANYWHERE else cheaper than the school's bookstore (amazon and half.com didn't even have them!) I wish there was a congressional panel that would look in to the booming textbook racket run by the universities and book publishers here in the US.

No comments: